Friday 6 July 2012

TFiOS book review


John Green has always been an inspirational writer for me, and one of my favourite authors within the young adult genre, which is why it’s no surprise that when his newest book “The Fault in Our Stars” was released this past January, I had to have it. And a signed copy, at that. The first time I read it was in one single sitting, from cover to cover. Since then, I’ve read it several times, and each time I’ve had to prepare myself for the emotional turmoil that I know this book brings.

Through reading this, John Green succeeds in every manner to bring out so many emotions at once, in a way that I’ve never experienced while reading a book. Before reading this, I had read the summary and understood that it involved the story of cancer patients. What I didn’t expect was to find myself crying hard one minute then laughing hard the next, but John Green’s choice of characters was a choice that I could not fault whatsoever. Hazel Grace Lancaster and Augustus Waters are, dare I say, the strongest characters that use humour and wit in a way that makes this fictional novel feel so real, and I can’t thank John Green enough for that. Within chapters, I found myself emotionally attached to Hazel and Augustus, and I doubt I’ll ever forget how this book has made me feel.

This is a book that has helped me through a lot. While I imagine almost every reader will fall in love with these characters, for their vulnerability, charisma, or relationship, I also imagine that almost every reader will envy these characters for sharing love in the way that they do. I, for one, definitely envy them. I can only recommend that everyone reads this. It’s a book that needs to be shared.

"But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn't trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful."

No comments: